Friday 13 February 2015

Death Masks

Equipments:
  • Cleanser, toner, moisturizer
  • Cotton pads
  • A foundation brush
  • Primer
  • White base
  • Loose powder
  • A puff
  • A foundation palette
  • An eye shadow palette
  • A contouring palette
  • An eye shadow brush
  • A contouring brush
In lesson, I have created a death mask on my friend Mireia Lopez's face. I have used used a brown colour to create more shadows and depth on her face. I have mixed the lightest colour on my foundation palette with the white base to create the pale complexion and it helps to stand out even more the contouring on the face. I think when the photos were taken in black and white, the brown colours on the face aren't strong enough and I should make the colour bolder next time. 
 
When I went back home, I have done 3 more versions of death mask on myself. 
This is a photo taken before started to do the death mask and it helps me to think about the shadowing on my face.
 
Equipments:
  • Cleanser, toner, moisturizer
  • Cotton pads
  • Primer
  • White base
  • Foundation palette
  • Loose powder
  • A puff
  • A foundation brush
  • Supracolor palette
  • An eye shadow brush
  • A contouring brush
  • A lip brush
First one:
For the first death mask, I have used the white base and mixed with the lightest colour from the foundation palette to create the skin base. After that, I have used the black colour from the supracolor palette to contour and create shadows on the face. In order to improve next time, I can make the black colour bolder so to make a bigger contrast.
 
Second one:
For the second death mask, I have contour the face with the black colour more and as you can see on the photos above, the colour creates more depth and shadows to the face. I have dabbed the black colour on the side of the face to create patterns like the face starting to get rotted. I like this death mask more than the first one as the contouring are more defined and I like the way the rotted effects were used and where it is position. I think contouring and shading to make a huge difference compare to the photo above when I have no makeup on my face. It creates more depth to the face and make it more three-dimensional.
 
Third one:
For the third death mask, I have contour the face even more than the second death mask. This is my favourite death mask and I like the way I have put some black colour on the inner lips as well and it creates a more scary and ghostly look. I have dabbed some black colour on the face because it was inspired by the photo below of the sculpture of L'Inconnue de la Seine. Rather than having all smooth skin, I want to create an old, scary death mask. L'Inconnue de la Seine's death mask is very famous as her enigmatic smile reminds people of the Mona Lisa. The reason L'Inconnue de la Seine's death mask was created was because she was a young woman who was dead around 1880s and one of the pathologists at the Paris Morgue really like her ethereal beauty, so he had made a death mask of her. 


On below is a photo of the process of how to create the death mask in 1908, New York.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Making_Death_Mask_Edit_4.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment