Monday 16 February 2015

Miss Havisham Designs - Make-up


http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00381/121334747_great-exp_381697c.jpg

Design 1
For my first design, I have decided to design Miss Havisham when she first met Pip and my design is inspired by Paula Wilcox as Miss Havisham in 'Great Expectations' at the theatre in 2013. For my design, I will use a pale complexion on the face, neck and hands and dark brown colour under the cheekbones and eye bags to create a tired and ill looking and the reason I have done this is because Pip described Miss Havisham in the novel as a witch, waxwork and skeleton. From Wilcox as Miss Havisham, it inspired me to use a bold dark purple lips on my design as I want the character to look more crazy, scary and have Gothic features as dark hues colour like purple and black links to the Gothic.The smudging black eye shadow also shows as time flies, her makeup will not look as tidy as it was before and probably she cried a lot as she was heart broken. The black eye shadow also links to what Pip described Miss Havisham because he said 'she has got sunken eyes'. I have applied a dark red colour on the lower lash line to create a more tired looking. I have used an arched eyebrows on my design as Victorians liked to have thin arched eyebrows. For my design, the foundation base will be more paler than Wilcox's as I want my version of Miss Havisham to look more ill and eerie.

Brainstorm ideas and research for design 2 and 3

On above is a diagram of my understandings and analysis of Miss Havisham's character. It is also my ideas of creating my design 2 and 3 as I want to look at what Miss Havisham going to be like after around thirty years since her wedding day when she first met Pip.

Witch ideas
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120606163512/disney/images/f/f3/Witch.jpg
http://www.seventeen.com/cm/seventeen/images/Si/sev-snow-white-witch-eyebrows-blog.jpg
I have researched two photos of witches on above because in 'Great Expectations', Miss Havisham was described by Pip that she looked like 'the witch of the place' and so I want my design 2 and 3 of Miss Havisham to look like a eerie, scary looking witch which fits the description that Pip said about her in the novel. You can see on the two photos above, both witches have got old sunken in face and I will also consider that on my design 2 and 3 as well.

Thinking about the skin problems and hairstyles Miss Havisham had when she first met Pip.
On above, I have researched some photos which links to what I imagine the skin conditions and hair Miss Havisham has. My current ideas of creating the character of Miss Havisham are an old lady with pale complexion, grey messy dusty hair, wrinkly and dry skin. As she was described in the novel where she was living in an environment with sunlight and was very dirty so I imagine she probably have bad, horrible, aged skin and also there should be many bacteria in her room as well which shows that she has poor hygiene. The novel was written that she stopped the clocks in her house and she still wearing the same look that she wore at her wedding day, so I want my version of Miss Havisham to have grey whitish dusty hair and is a bit messy as time went by, her hair should look untidy and aging.  
 

Design 2
On above is my design 2 of Miss Havisham's character. For this time, I imagine Miss Havisham as a person who looks very old, got wrinkles on her face, aging skin with old age spots. Her lips are dry and pale and also got dry skin on her face as well. I have mixed the colour black and white to make a grey colour and apply it to the eye bags, inner eyelid, lower lash line and a bit on the upper eyelid  to give a tired looking and due to Miss Havisham's unhealthy living style, I think she probably lack of nutrition and her face would look sunken. I have added a dark brown colour contouring under the cheekbones to create hollows on the face. Also this will links to what Pip described Miss Havisham as 'Now, waxwork and skeleton seemed to have dark eyes that moved and looked at me.' (Charles Dickens, Great Expectations, Chapter 8) and I want to add the ideas of the witch research that I've found on the previous blog post on this design which looks very eerie and aging. For the skin colour, I will use a pale complexion on face, neck and hands which makes Miss Havisham's character ghostly like and this will add a bit of creepy effects. Wrinkles are drawn on the forehead, eyes, around the lips and also the neck. The reason I've used a dark brown arched eyebrows as Victorian liked to have arched eyebrows and also I want to make Miss Havisham's character look stronger, somber and solemn.

Design 3

For design 3, I have created an aging makeup and on my design, it has got pale complexion, wrinkles on the face, neck and hands. I have used the mixture of black and white to create the sunken eyes effects and dark circles. I have used a dark brown colour under the cheekbone as I want to create hollows on the cheeks and make Miss Havisham looks tired and weak. I have used white lashes and brows and contouring on the nose, nasolabial folds and under the mouth to show the aging of the character. I have used a pinky red colour on the lower lash line to give an aging, tiring and exhausted effects. Also because thinning of the skin naturally occurs when aging so red under the eyes and also veins on the hands were also seen. I have used a black inner lips to show a gloomy side of Miss Havisham and the black colour to show Gothic element as well. The reason I just applied the black colour on the inner lips rather than the whole lips is because I think it will look too much and also I want to show the dry lips effect. I have used dry skin on the lips, face and hands and I have stipple some red colour to create a bit of blood on top of the dry skin. I have created scratches on the hands and it is inspired by the TV mini-series  'Great Expectations' 2011 Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham because I like the way how Anderson portrayed Miss Havisham as a weak victim who constantly scratches her hands to show self mutilation and her manic obsessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment