Sunday 1 March 2015

Analysing Estella's character

What do I imagine of Estella when I was reading the book?
I imagine Estella as a person who looks beautiful as she was described by Pip as very pretty. She looks slim, got pale complexion as she is from the upper class because of Miss Havisham and she didn't needed to work outside as she was not like the lower class people. She has got long hair, big beautiful eyes and delicate face. An arched eyebrows to show her cruel, confidence and being harsh to Pip.
 
On below, I have researched three versions of 'Great Expectations' 's film and TV mini series. I will analyse and comment on Estella's character on each version and what I like about the portrayal.

1946 - film
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/Great_expectations.jpg
Directed by: David Lean
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/great-expectations-jean-simmons-1946-everett.jpg
Young Estella: Jean Simmons
This version of Estella portrayed by Jean Simmons is similar to what I imagine Estella would be when I was reading the book. I like how the eyebrows look thin and arched which shows confidence and a proud character of Estella. The makeup looks very clean and simple and she looks very pretty like what Pip describes her.
http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/71/7178/D1CU100Z/posters/great-expectations-valerie-hobson-1946.jpg
Estella: Valerie Hobson
I like the hairstyle of Valerie Hobson as Estella in the photo above and how the bonnets she wearing was delicately decorated while there are loose curls shown at the top which creates a sweet, elegant look. The make-up in here looks simple and clean. As you can see the bonnets was elaborately decorated, it also symbolize an upper class status of Estella.

2011 TV mini-series

http://dizipub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/great-expectations-tum-bolumler-izle.jpg
Directed by: Brian Kirk

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/22/article-2064629-0EE62D8600000578-448_306x528.jpg
Young Estella: Izzy Meikle-Small
I like this version of young Estella portrayed by Izzy Meikle-Small and it is similar to what I imagine Estella would be when I was reading the book. I like the expressions of her on above as it shows a proud, confident and cruel side of Estella. 
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/22/article-2064629-0EE62E3D00000578-181_306x528.jpg
Estella: Vanesssa Kirby
The curls that Vanessa Kirby wore as Estella look loose and I like how strands of hair leaving down on the side and it creates a romantic look. For the makeup, I think the lips look too pale and in my opinion, I think it makes Estella look tired and sick which is the only thing that I don't like about the look in here.
 
2012- film
http://static.viooz.ac/images/movies/1836808.jpg
Directed by: Mike Newell
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/great-expecations-omg01.jpg
Young Estella: Helena Barlow
I like the costume that Helena Barlow wore on the photos above and it shows the upper class status of Estella as it looks elaborately decorated. I also like how there were curls coming out from the front which creates a girly look. 
http://www.nailandrockett.com/IMAGES/blog/Great%20Expectations%20blog/slide%20show%20blog/Estella%20navy%20top%20half%20400.jpg
Estella: Holliday Grainger

This version of portrayal Estella is my favourite among all the films and TV series of 'Great Expectations' as there are many different styles for Estella and the hairstyles surprises me in different scenes because how the stylist decorated the hairstyle with pretty ornaments and they look very delicate. On above is one of the style of Holliday Grainger as Estella in the film and I like how there is a thin plait across the forehead and the way there are plaits roll around the big bun. I also like how a blue star shape ornaments pinned on the plaits at the front and I think it might be related to Estella as her name in Latin means 'star'.

After watching three versions of 'Great Expectations', I've learnt that designing a character's style will affect the film as if the characters' styles look eye-catching, it will attracts more audience and make the film more interesting. Also, the makeup look works in a very important part as for example, by changing the brows shapes or changing the lips colour, it will affects the whole look of what feelings it gives to the audience about the character. The right choice and uses of ornaments can show the society status of what classes the character belongs to.

No comments:

Post a Comment