Sunday 1 March 2015

Weak or proud Estella? (Modern interpretations)

In lesson, I have created two versions of Estella through the use of makeup. I have expressed my ideas of Estella's character using make-up and divide the face into two side : weak or proud?
 
Weak side of Estella:
The reason I describe Estella as a weak person because since she adopted by Miss Havisham, she was under Miss Havisham's control and taught to be like what Miss Havisham told her to be. I have drawn the eyebrows flatter and contour under the cheekbones with a dark brown colour. For the eye shadow, I have used a white colour for the base and then add a grey colour on the outer eyelid and also the lower lash line to give an innocent look.
For the lips, I have used a pale and natural colour instead of bright colours as I want to give a soft, innocent look to present the weak side of Estella.

Proud Estella
I have drawn the eyebrows more arched and thicker to show the character of Estella more powerful and arrogant. I have used a shiny, sparkly eye shadow to add glamour to the look and also shows the upper class status of Estella.The use of a dark brown eye shadow and apply it to the outer eyelid and lower lash line to contour the eyes and make Estella look more proud. I also want to use the light shimmery colour eye shadow to contrast with the dark brown colour to create strong contrast as to symbolize Estella's proud and unchanged personality in the novel, being cruel and harsh to Pip. I have used a orangey pink colour on the cheek to give a feminine and beautiful look.
I have used a red lip colour to symbolize confident, graceful and powerful and this related to how Miss Havisham took pride in Estella's beauty as how powerful she can breaks men's hearts and torment them. 
Weak side (left) and Proud side (right)
By changing the brows' shapes, it affects the whole look of the makeup and it gives a different feeling to people. Also, through this practice, you can see there are many ways and it is very important to use the right colours to present the character's personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment