Wednesday 18 March 2015

Modern Gothic interpretation of Estella

Hair chart
Face chart
I've done a modern gothic interpretations of Estella and the inspirations comes from my understanding of how the character of Estella was being written in 'Great Expectations'. I've chosen the scene in 'Great Expectations' where Estella travel to London with Pip. The use of cold colours on the makeup and headdress give the Gothic features as the use of dark hues colour and the black lace on the costumes also is one of the sign of the Victorian Gothic. I've used a dark blue eyeshadow on the lower lashline to add and show the coldness and the cruel personality of Estella in the novel. Also, rather than using a black colour to outlines the lips, I've used and mixed a dark blue colour to add a bit of uniqueness to show Estella is a person who looks very attractive and beautiful and it also show the coldness of the character as well. I've divided the hair into front and back section and the back section started from the ears. I've done all loose curls at the back while for the front section, I've divided each side into three parts and for the first part, I've leaved the hair down on the side of the face while the second and the third part, I've pinned them to the back, so the side will look sleek and smooth. The reason I used a dark blue flowers hairdress is because in Victorian era, people like to use flowers as ornaments on the hairstyle and also I want to use the blue colour to show Estella's proud and cold personality.

Equipments:
  • Cleanser, toner, moisturizer
  • Cotton pads
  • Cotton buds
  • Couch roll
  • An apron
  • Primer
  • White base
  • Kryolan foundation palette (alabaster)
  • Foundation brushes
  • Coastal scents eye shadow palette (dark blue colour)
  • Illamasqua eye shadow palette (brown and grey shimmery colour)
  • Illamasqua eye shadow palette (Black colour)
  • Eye shadow brushes
  • Angle brushes
  • Disposable mascara
  • Mascara
  • Kryolan blush palette
  • A Blush brush
  • A contouring brush
  • Mac lip mix (colour blue and black) 
  • Lip brushes
  • Sectioning clips
  • Hair pins
  • Hair tongs
  • Hair spray
  • Heat protector
  • A brush, a comb and a tail comb
Model: Sera Gerwat
I've asked my model to pose like she is a proud and beautiful character like Estella.
On below, I have edited and try out different effects on my photos and experiment how by changing different tones on the photos can give a different mood and feelings.
1.
I really like this photo effect and it is called Autumn. It makes the photo darker and mysterious which I think is suitable for a Gothic shoot. I also like how the effect stands out the blue colour and give a cool texture and tones to the photographs.
2.
This photo effects is called Bueno and it makes the photographs more vintage and old as it has added some brown tones to the photograph.  
3.
This photo effects is called Carmine and I like how it has created a colour contrast and also the lip colours stand out. The effects help to present a stronger feeling of Estella and add an impact to the photograph. I think the effects also create a mysterious atmosphere and make the photo more interesting and attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment