Sunday 1 March 2015

Estella in 'Great Expectations'

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Breakhisheart.jpg
After reading 'Great Expectations', my knowledge about Estella's character is someone who looks beautiful, honest, straightforward but also cruel as she was raised like that by Miss Havisham. The name Estella is Latin and it means 'star' which associated with beauty and love. My first impressions of her is rude, but beautiful and a person who keep distant with people. On below are the quotes from the book which gives me ideas of what Estella looks like and the personality of her through Pip's descriptions.
"Though she called me "boy" so often, and with a carelessness that was far from complimentary, she was of about my own age. She seemed much older than I, of course, being a girl, and beautiful and self-possessed; and she was as scornful of me as if she had been one-and-twenty, and a queen."

On below is the conversation of Pip describing Estella to Miss Havisham when the first time they met.
"I think she is very proud," I replied, in a whisper.
"Anything else?"
"I think she is very pretty."
"Anything else?"
"I think she is very insulting." (She was looking at me then with a look of supreme aversion.)  

"She came back, with some bread and meat and a little mug of beer. She put the mug down on the stones of the yard, and gave me the bread and meat without looking at me, as insolently as if I were a dog in disgrace. I was so humiliated, hurt, spurned, offended, angry, sorry"
On above, the quotes suggest to me that Estella is really rude and later on after this quote, Estella nearly made Pip cry and she laughs at him.
 
I think Estella is a sad and weak character and feel sympathy for her as she was under Miss Havisham's control since she got adopted and taught by Miss Havisham to break men's hearts and torment them. Miss Havisham took pride in Estella's beauty and cruelty and she cannot love Pip because she didn't taught about love.
 
Estella wins Pip's heart and love by being a cruel character and in the novel, she plays an important part as she makes Pip want to be upper classes. But ironically, nearly the end of the novel, Pip realized Estella is the daughter of Magwitch, who is from the lowest classes.
Although when Estella and Pip grow up, Estella still hurt Pip's heart, but the way Estella warns Pip that 'I have no heart.' shows that Estella herself know the impression she gives people, being a cruel, rude and cold hearted person. Also, it might symbolized that she warns Pip to get away from her because she doesn't want to hurt him. After marrying Bentley Drummle for many years who treats her badly, I believe Estella realized she has a heart rather that saying 'I have no heart' anymore. Also, she learns to express her own feelings and the fact she likes Pip.

In the final scene, Estella finally becomes herself and not being controlled by anyone. On below is a quote from the novel to proof that.
"now, when suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape. Be as considerate and good to me as you were, and tell me we are friends."

Book reference:
Charles Dickens (2002), Great Expectations, published by Penguin Classics; Revised edition.


No comments:

Post a Comment